Legal | Open | Honest | Respectful

Example Case Studies:

We will continue to update our website with case studies showing both good practice and bad practice, and how to fix this.

If your charity has an example that we could use for our case studies, please email We will ensure any case studies are anonymous.

Case Study 1

A charity asked some of their volunteers to carry out door-to-door fundraising in their local area, asking members of the public if they wanted to sign up to a monthly direct debit.

The charity received a complaint from an individual noting that their father had been visited by the charity’s volunteers and signed up to a direct debit. The complainant noted they had power of attorney over their father’s finances as he had dementia. They therefore asked for the direct debit to be stopped and for no further volunteers to visit that address.

The charity took the appropriate action to stop the direct debit and advised all of their volunteers not to visit this individual again, noting this on their records for any future fundraising. They then confirmed this in writing to the complainant.

Case Study 2

A charity entered into a contract with a third party fundraising organisation, asking that they carry out telephone fundraising on their behalf.

The charity received a complaint from a member of the public noting that they received a call and, after stating they did not want to make a donation, they felt pressured by the caller.

The charity contacted the fundraising organisation to discuss the matter and requested that their callers ensure they do not apply undue pressure to anyone and that they cease the call after an individual has stated they do not wish to make a donation.

The charity contacted the complainant to apologise and identified the steps taken to rectify the problem.

Our Address:

Our Address:

Scottish Fundraising Adjudication Panel
c/o The Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR)
2nd Floor Quadrant House, 9 Riverside Drive
Dundee DD1 4NY
Get In Touch:

Get In Touch:

0808 164 2520
Make A Complaint:

Make A Complaint:

Submit Your Complaint
Skip to content